Mountain Dell Projects
Mountain Dell Drainage Improvement Project
August 09, 2020:
The Mountain Dell Drainage Improvement Project continued on schedule last week with the installation of the Sinclair St. box culvert walls and more backfilling of inlet walls. Crews also installed rip rap; placed more guardrail along the eastern half of the project and graded, hydroseeded and installed more erosion control matting (ECM) near the west end of the project.
This week’s scheduled work includes more grading, hydroseeding, rip rap and ECM installation along with additional guardrail and culvert wall installation.
The Mountain Dell Drainage Improvement Project will improve the drainage in the community to accommodate a 100-year flood event. The goal of this project is to decrease the size of the flood-affected area. When completed, the project will provide flood mitigation for 28 structures, including approximately 20 homes and the community’s water system, which could positively impact insurance rates for these properties.
- Status: Construction - On Schedule
- Construction Start: May 4, 2020
- Estimated Completion: Fall 2020
- Project Contractor:Tiffany Construction Co.
- Project Engineer: Civiltec Engineering, Inc.
- Estimated Construction Cost: $2 Million
- Funded By: Coconino County Flood Control District
Mountain Dell Drainage Improvement Project Background
In 2016 the Coconino County Flood Control District (FCD) completed Initial Engineering Assessments (IEAs) in four areas of the County deemed "Special Flood Hazard Areas" by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). An IEA is a tool that the FCD uses to better understand flood risks so that initial, conceptual flood mitigation alternatives can be identified and evaluated.
Based on this IEA information, the FCD Board of Directors approved preliminary engineering and feasibility studies for the conceptual Mountain Dell/Sinclair Wash Drainage Improvement Project.
Fort Tuthill Utility Improvement Project
The Fort Tuthill Utility Improvement Project will extend the sewer line from University Heights through Mountain Dell to Fort Tuthill to provide sewer service to the park. For more information please visit the project’s web page.
- Status: Pre-Construction
- Estimated Construction Start: July 2020
- Estimated Completion: October 2020
- Project Contractor: Overley’s Est. 1959
- Project Engineer: Shephard-Westnitzer, Inc.
- Estimated Construction Cost: $2,100,000
- Funded By: Coconino County Parks and Open Space Tax