Sheriff's Office FAQ's

How do I find out the status of an Inmate at the Jail? Inmates are not listed on our website. To find out if someone is currently being housed at the Coconino County Detention Facility (Page or Flagstaff), call (928) 226-5200. After selecting the menu language (1 for English, 2 for Spanish, 3 for Navajo), select option 1 for Inmate information, or option 0 to speak with the receptionist.

How do I visit an Inmate? You can visit an inmate via Video Visitation which allows you to use a kiosk at our Detention Facilities or from a remote location using an internet connected device.  Inmates receive 60 minutes of free video visitation each week. Visitation can take place from anywhere, and inmates can use their weekly free minutes for the visits. The 60 minutes can be split up into different visits and can be used with any type of visit, whether to a computer, phone, tablet, or with someone in the Flagstaff or Page jail lobbies. For more information and to set up an account, please visit or from a smart phone or table visit the app store to download the free app GettingOut Visit.

How do I put money on an Inmate's Books? Learn how to put money on an Inmate's Account, including commissary and phone, using our lobby kiosks, the internet or calling Telmate directly.

Can Inmates send and receive mail? Yes, inmates can send and receive mail; however, there are some limitations. To learn more, visit our Inmate Mail information page.

What items can an Inmate receive through Commissary? Inmates can order certain hygiene, food, clothing, and writing items through Commissary. Indigent kits with some basic hygiene and other items are available to inmates with no money on their inmate accounts. Friends and family also can use an online order system to purchase other kits to be sent to an inmate. To learn more about these options, visit our Inmate Commissary information page.

How do I get a copy of a Sheriff’s Office / Police report? Copies of police reports taken by the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office can be requested by completing this Online Public Records Request.  Alternatively, you can download and complete a Records Request Form and send your request by email or postal mail to Flagstaff Police / Sheriff Records, 911 E Sawmill Rd, Flagstaff, AZ 86001.  A fee may apply.

How do I make a Public Records Request?  All Public and Media Records Requests should be made through the Flagstaff Police Department Records Section by completing a downloadable Public Records Request Form or Online Public Records Request.  A fee may apply.  Please note that these links will connect you to the Flagstaff Police Department Records Unit which provides the services for processing requests, invoicing, and acceptance of payment for records of the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office. To learn more click on the following link: Flagstaff Police Department Records Unit.

What happens if I have a fire during a Fire Ban?  City, state, and/or federal laws may apply. Please note that fireworks and other activities are also included under various stages of fire restrictions.

You may receive a citation for knowingly or unknowingly violating a fire ban. It is your responsibility to be aware of fire restrictions. Information about fire restrictions is regularly posted on the city and county websites and social media pages. You also can learn about fire restrictions by going to Arizona Fire Restrictions web page.

Two common laws in Coconino County that apply to fire restrictions are: ARS 13-2913 and the Coconino County Fire Ban Ordinance

How do I pay a ticket / citation? Check your citation for the court listed. If the court is listed as Justice Court (Flagstaff, Fredonia, Page, or Williams) check out Justice Court FAQ’s for more information on court dates and fines. If the court is listed as Municipal Court (Flagstaff, Fredonia, Page, or Williams) check out Municipal Court FAQ’s for more information about court dates and fines. Additional information also can be found on the Traffic Cases information page.

How can I find out if I have a Warrant? If you know the court, you can call the court directly to find out if you have a warrant. You also can contact a court officer to see if there are any outstanding warrants against you. Additional information regarding cases and their status can be found at the Arizona Judicial Branch public access website.

How do I get a Special Event Liquor License approved? If the event is in the City of Flagstaff, you can drop off your application at the Flagstaff Police Department. If the event is in the unincorporated area of Coconino County, you need to drop off your application at the Coconino County Clerk of the Board at 219 E Cherry Ave, Flagstaff, AZ 86001, phone: (928) 679-7145

How do I find out about Sex Offenders living in my area?  For a listing of offenders in Arizona visit the AZ Department of Public Safety Sex Offender Compliance webpage.

How do I find out about crime and other activity in my neighborhood? You can use the online Community Crime Map to learn about crime and other activity (e.g., search and rescues, non-criminal activity such as lost or found property) in your area. For crime maps within the City of Flagstaff, go to Crime Reports online. The Sheriff’s Office also holds regular community Neighborhood Watch Meetings. To learn about Neighborhood Watch meetings near you, contact our Community Programs Planner, Jon Paxton at (928) 226-5089

How do I claim my Property after a case? Prior to property being returned, the officer handling your case must complete a property release form which is then forwarded to the Property Manager. If you have been notified that property belonging to you is ready for release, you can make an appointment with Tom Ross (928)226-5119. Otherwise, please contact the officer handling your case to find out the status of your property. For more information visit our Evidence and Property information page.

How do I get a Fingerprint Card processed? Fingerprinting services are offered by the Flagstaff Police Department at the Records window (911 E. Sawmill Rd., Flagstaff, AZ 86001). The fee is $6 and payable by cash or check. You can call ahead to phone number (928) 214-2530 if you need additional information. Fingerprint cards will need to be mailed to Arizona Department of Public Safety (AZDPS) for background checks and clearance. Questions regarding fingerprint clearance should be directed to AZDPS at phone number (602) 223-2223.

How do I get a Concealed Weapons Permit? Concealed Weapon Permits and information is through the Arizona Department of Public Safety

How can I get a copy of my Criminal History Record? We can provide “background” or “criminal history checks” for individuals wanting to know their own history, but do not provide background checks on other persons for public use. The fee is $7 cash or check, or the fee is waived if you have a Section 8 Housing Authority letter.

To request your personal local background check (police or sheriff specific jurisdictions) contact your local police or sheriff’s office. For the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office, you can complete the Online Background Check Request. Alternatively, you can download and complete the Background Check Form and return it to the Records Unit located at 911 E. Sawmill Rd, Flagstaff, AZ 86001, phone number (928) 214-2530.

For AZ criminal history checks / clearance you must contact the Arizona Department of Public Safety Criminal History Records Unit, phone (602) 223-2279. For national checks / clearance, you must contact the FBI, Special Correspondence Unit, phone (304) 625-5590.

How do I request to ride along with a Deputy? Complete the Civilian Observer Request Form and email to the Sheriff's Office or drop off at the Records window at 911 E Sawmill Rd, Flagstaff, AZ 86001

How can I Volunteer for the Sheriff’s Office? There are many ways to volunteer for the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office – Search and Rescue, Mounted Unit, Cold Case Unit, Community Emergency Response Team, Patrol Volunteers, and Program Facilitators in our Jail. Visit our Volunteer information page for contact information.

How do I Volunteer in the Jail? Contact our Jail Programs Volunteer Coordinator at (928) 226-5211 or email him to learn more about volunteering at our jail.

What is the Exodus program? Exodus is the in-custody drug and alcohol treatment program at the Coconino County Detention Facility / Jail. The program uses educational and therapeutic services to assist inmates in making decisions to avoid alcohol and drug use in the future.

How can I join Search and Rescue? Search and Rescue (SAR) volunteers make up a large portion of our Search and Rescue Unit. We have Search and Rescue Teams based out of Page and Flagstaff Watch the SAR information page for application deadlines and dates of trainings. You also can learn more by visiting the SAR Organization webpage.

What is Preventative Search and Rescue? Preventative Search and Rescue (PSAR) is an effort by our SAR Unit to provide outdoor safety education by presenting programs such as Hug-A-Tree and informational booths at various public events. Occasionally SAR personnel conduct PSAR patrols in the field and will contact outdoor users to provide some outdoor safety tips.

How do I request a Property Watch? You can complete the Online Property Watch Request Form

How do I request a deputy to speak at my event? To request a presentation, you can email our Community Programs Planner or call (928) 226-5089.

What is the difference between the Constable and the Sheriff’s Office Civil Division? The Sheriff’s Office serves legal documents originating from superior courts, attorneys and private individuals. We also assist citizens and attorneys in both pre-judgment and post-judgment remedies by executing writs. The Constable serves legal documents originating from justice court precincts.  Learn more about Sheriff’s Civil Division services.

How do I get an Order of Protection / Injunction against Harassment Served? The Sheriff’s Office serves Orders of Protection and Injunctions Against Harassment at no charge to the plaintiff. Follow the steps outlined on our Orders of Protection / Injunctions webpage.

How can I find out about Sheriff’s Sales? Sheriff’s Sales involve the sale of both personal and real property at public auction. All sales of real property are conducted at the Coconino County Superior Court steps. Personal property sales are held at various locations. Dates, times and locations of sales are publicly posted. Read more about Notice of Sales on our webpage.

What can I do to protect myself from Fraud? If it sounds suspicious, it probably is. Learn how to recognize fraudulent schemes and how to protect yourself against fraud

What jobs are available at the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office? We have over 250 employees who serve in many different roles including, sworn peace officers, certified detention officers, nurses, kitchen staff, facilities, information technology, finance, human resources, data analysis, crime scene processing, case workers, and much more. Visit our Job Information page to learn more.

What cases does your Cold Case Unit work? Our Cold Cases Unit works over 28 unsolved homicides as well as numerous missing person cases.

Do you have a Safe Internet Purchase Exchange Zone? Yes, two parking spaces at our 911 E Sawmill Rd, Flagstaff, AZ 86001 location have been designated for Safe Internet Exchanges.

How can I safely get rid of Old Prescriptions? The Sheriff’s Office and Flagstaff Police Department regularly hold Dump the Drugs events. You also can drop off pharmaceuticals in our collection box located inside the administrative lobby at 911 E Sawmill Rd, Flagstaff, AZ 86001

What is CERT? CERT is short for Community Emergency Response Team. The Sheriff’s Office regularly sponsors CERT training throughout Coconino County.

How do I sign up for Citizen’s Police Academy? Visit our Citizens Police Academy page to read announcements about upcoming classes and submit an application.