Student Agency in Learning (SAIL) is a professional development course that was developed as a collaboration between Coconino County Education Service Agency and WestEd. The project aims to equip teachers and leaders with the tools necessary to support their students and to create a classroom culture where student agency thrives.
Participants in this course will:
- Develop and begin to own a compelling vision of student agency enabled by formative assessment and connected to equity.
- Redefine the relationship between the teacher and the student in learning classroom culture
- Develop skills in:
- Planning Lesson Learning Goals & Success Criteria
- Using Formative Assessment to clarify student learning
- Developing a Classroom Culture to Support Student Agency
- Eliciting Evidence and Interpreting Evidence of Learning
- Using Evidence of Learning during Instruction
- Use collaborative inquiry practices and video study groups to explore a chosen dimension of student agency:
- peer feed-back, or
- extended learning through discourse.
- Participate in a network of educators working to promote student agency at their schools.
- Develop support strategies for strong site-based professional learning as leaders.
The course is taught and implemented in four distinct arenas:
- The online course
- Face-to-Face at your site or at Ponderosa High School
- In your classroom
- Collaboration with colleagues at your school
Having the class available in these arenas allows you to participate from your home and to implement the skills you are learning in real time, in your own classroom.
ALL participants are expected to attend the SAIL LAUNCH Kick-Off at DeMiguel Elementary School on Monday, August 6, 2018 from 8:30 AM – 12:30 PM.
Please click on your School Name below for your cohort-specific dates.
Coconino County Associate Superintendent of Schools & Director of Innovation and Development Division
Email Cheryl Mango-Paget
Professional Learning Coordinator
CCESA - I & D Division
2384 N Steves Blvd
Flagstaff, AZ 86004
Ph: (928) 679-8053
Ph: (800) 559-9289
Fx: (928) 526-0616
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.